Guidelines for Citizens
Purpose of Movement
Movements of citizens for serving needs which cannot be covered in alternative ways, are only allowed for:
- Travelling to and from the workplace during working hours
- The following eight categories vis-à-vis the purpose of movement:
- Visit to a pharmacy, blood donation center or a doctor
- Visit to a store to buy retail goods/services
- Visit to a bank, provided that electronic transactions are not possible
- Absolutely necessary visits to government services or services of the wider public sector and local government
- Movement with the purpose of assisting people who are unable to serve or protect themselves or who are in self-confinement and / or compulsory confinement (quarantine)
- Movement for individual physical activity (walking, swimming, cycling, tennis, golf etc) or for the needs of a pet, alone or in a group of no more than two persons
- Movement with the purpose of attending a ceremony (e.g. funeral, wedding, christening) of first and second degree relatives, not exceeding 10 persons or for individual worship
- Movement for any other purpose which may be justified under the prohibition of movement measures
The movement of citizens between 9.00 p.m. and 6.00 a.m. is prohibited, except for those citizens holding a Confirmation of Movement of an Employee (Form A) and provided that the form allows them to be moving within that timeframe.
Procedure for an Approval of Movement
- To travel to and from the workplace during working hours: the confirmation of movement is fixed (Form A) and is provided, under the sole responsibility of the signatory, by the employer, or in the case of a legal person, by his/her legal representative or, in the case of a freelance professional or self-employed person, by himself/herself.
- As regards the aforementioned eight categories vis-à-vis the purpose of movement, the following options are available as to the procedure for attaining approval:
For persons under the age of 65 (1 option):
Only by sending an SMS to the number 8998, written in the correct format
For persons over the age of 65 (3 options):
- By sending an SMS: to the number 8998, written in the correct format, or
- By filling out and printing Form B: (Statement for the movement of citizens by way of exception), which should be signed by the interested party, who bears sole responsibility, and should include his/her full name, date of birth, identification proof (e.g. ID card number), home address, the time as well as the purpose of movement, or
- Citizens’ Solemn Declaration: In the event that citizens do not have access to the announced forms for the confirmation of movement, they may carry with them a handwritten confirmation containing the following information: full name, date of birth, identification proof (e.g. ID card number), home address, time of movement as well as the specific purpose of that movement (which must fall within the categories excluded from the prohibition of unnecessary movements, as these are stipulated in the relevant Decree), signature and date.
In order to facilitate the movement of citizens, by way of exception, who cannot use the 8998 text messaging (SMS) service, a call centre service has been set up, which citizens are advised to use only in the below cases:
- Subscribers of foreign telecommunications providers, as the SMS service does not support messages from non-Cypriot numbers,
- Citizens who face any kind of problem while trying to attain approval through the SMS service.
The service will be available to citizens from 06:00 to 22:00, in both Greek and English, as follows:
- For Cypriot phone numbers: 80012012
- For foreign phone numbers: +357 22 263030
It is noted that the call centre, through an automated IVR (Interactive Voice Response) system, will only service calls from mobile phones.
Citizens using this system for movement by way of exception, will be receiving a relevant reply through text message (SMS) on their mobile phones.
Please be reminded that, as per the relevant decrees, only one movement by way of exception is allowed per day, regardless of the method used to attain the relevant approval.
Citizens bear personal responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided to the call center and shall be held liable for any false statements.
During each movement, citizens must have with them, in order to show it in the event of a check, the filled-out form for the confirmation of movement (print out or handwritten) or the confirmation SMS that they have received, as well as identification proof as follows:
- Cyprus citizens: Cyprus ID card
- European citizens: Registration confirmation
- Third country nationals: Residence permit
Regarding ONLY European citizens and third country nationals who justifiably do not have a registration confirmation or a residence permit, respectively, then, by way of exception, another identification document will be accepted (e.g. international passport, international ID card, diplomatic passport).
The following restrictions apply:
For all movements by way of exception, each confirmation of movement refers to just one particular movement.
Besides movement for work purposes, citizens are only allowed movements by way of exception three times a day.
Confirmation of Movement Forms
Form A: Confirmation of Movement of an Employee
For confirming the movement of an employee (Form A) to and from the workplace, the following form must be filled out:
Form B: Statement for the movement of citizens by way of exception (it only applies to persons over the age of 65)
Regarding the statement for the movement of citizens in exceptional cases (Form B), the following form must be filled out:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SENDING A TEXT MESSAGE (SMS)
Each citizen is only allowed to send three (3) SMS per day!
The SMS can be sent from a mobile phone to the number 8998, without any charges.
The SMS must be written in the following format:
X space Identification proof number space postal code of residence
- Χ stands for the purpose of movement, i.e. the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 which correspond to the reasons for movement.
- Identification Proof Number for:
- Cypriot citizens: Cyprus ID card number
- European citizens and third country nationals: the ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER (ARC) which is stated on the registration confirmation or residence permit.
- European citizens and third country nationals without an ARC: the number of another acceptable identification proof (international passport or international ID card number, diplomatic passport number).
As regards the format of the identification proof number, it must be noted that the system accepts: numbers, up to three letters and ten characters in total (numbers and letters).
Once they send the message, citizens will have the right to move for a reasonable amount of time depending on the purpose of movement.
After sending the SMS, a reply will be received in the following format:
APPROVED <Χ> < IDENTIFICATION PROOF NUMBER > VALID FOR REASONABLE AMOUNT OF TIME
In case of a mistake in the format of the message, the citizen will receive the following reply:
REJECTED/INVALID MESSAGE FORMAT:Χ ID/ARC POSTAL CODE
If a citizen exceeds the maximum limit of movements permitted daily (one SMS per day) he / she will receive the following reply:
REJECTED YOU HAVE REACHED THE LIMIT OF THE DAILY PERMITTED MOVEMENTS
Since the movement of persons between the hours of 21:00 and 6:00 is prohibited, except for those citizens holding a Confirmation of Movement of an Employee (Form A) and provided that the form allows them to be moving within that timeframe, all SMS messages sent within the aforementioned timeframe will receive the following reply:
REJECTED - MOVEMENT OF PERSONS IS NOT ALLOWED BETWEEN 22:00 – 6:00